If you have been driving a Husqvarna, you must be aware of hydrostatic drive problems that usually occur at anytime. No doubt, Husqvarna is one of the most popular mowers among landscaper who are just beginning out.
However, a Husqvarna is not without a problem because its mechanical parts are prone to be worn out due to overuse and aging. If you are facing any issues with your Husqvarna, you might be looking to find the exact reason.
Before you try to fix anything, if you find a leaking problem or loose seal, you need first to address thatt. This is why I have prepared a comprehensive guide on Husqvarna hydrostatic dry issuesandh its solution.
Do note that all machines are bound to get damaged due to worn-out components. Therefore, always keep your Husqvarna on proper maintenance. After using and operating it, clean your Husqvarna deck, sharpen its blade, and inspect the mower. Let’s take a quick look at the common Husqvarna hydrostatic dry problems.
7+ Husqvarna Hydrostatic Drive Problems
No doubt a Husqvarna is a great mover to anyone for the money they are spending. If you need a mower that is efficient in keeping your lawn maintenance work and effort as minimal as possible, a Husqvarna looks to be a good option.
Although they are not without its problems, you are fortunate enough to be aware of what you need to do if you encounter any of these setbacks. The good news is, there are many solutions to Husqvarna’s problems and I am going to share that information with you. I
f you are in a hurry, you can take a look at our quick table of Husqvarna hydrostatic drive problems, cause,s and possible remedies. It will give an Idea of whether this mower is suitable for you or not. Other than this, if you are looking for a solution, go through the article.
|Leakage in transmission.
|Check if the gasket is sealed and installed correctly or not. If it seems worn out, don’t mind replacing it with the new one and sealing it properly.
|Husqvarna Not Starting.
|Pump and motor not working properly.
|Due to lack of fluid in the transmission, the Husqvarna does not work properly or even stall many times during operation.
|Faulty solenoid. Loose belt. Deck Problem.
|If the solenoid is deteriorated you replace it with the new one. Other than this band belt needs to be tent properly otherwise it will create noise. Make sure you also look for the deck adjustment. If it is not adjusted properly, address it.
|Low fluid level.
|A Husqvarna is prone to overheating due to a lack of fluid level in their transmission system. Add fluid level if it is low.
|Fuel filter problem.
|If your Husqvarna engine is continuously stalling, there can be a problem with the fuel filter. Don’t mind replacing it to solve the issue.
|Gear shifting problem.
|If the belt is loose, you will encounter problems with shifting gears. Therefore you should replace the old belt with the new one.
|Worn Out. Misaligned.
|If the belt is not aligned properly or worn out, address the issue as soon as possible to prevent any accident or damage to the other part of your Husqvarna engine.
Oil Leaking Issue
Being a hydrostatic transmission lawn mower, a Husqvarna is known to have some leakage problems in its transmission system. If you find any oil leaking problem with your Husqvarna there can be a potential solution to this problem.
The first thing that you should do is replace the seal of your hydrostatic transmission. It is easy to do. Firstly, remove the pump and transmission cover. Then, you can easily replace the old sale with the new one.
After that, don’t mind checking the gasket condition or the overall hydrostatic transmission condition to find the actual spot of leakage.
If there is any crack or hindrance that is escalating oil to escape, don’t mind replacing it. Sometimes the problem can be as simple as O-ring Faulty. Therefore you can also try replacing the o-ring on the Husqvarna hydrostatic transmission to solve the issue.
Slipping Drive belt
If you find that your Husqvarna is suffering from a broken belt or worn-out belt, you will need to fix it as soon as possible. But before you do, make sure you get your mower to leveled ground and apply the brake to remove the battery.
Then you should choke the tire to ensure your Husqvarna cannot move when you are installing a new belt on its hydrostatic drive. However, to do that, you will need first to remove the Deck belt.
- Firstly, you need to remove the tension spring from the Deck belt using a spring puller because the hydrostatic drive seats above the deck pulleys of the Husqvarna.
- After that, you can remove the deck belt from your Husqvarna’s main engine.
- If you are unable to find the Deck belt, look at the central engine pulleys that is located next to the clutch.
- Afterward, move on to the clutch and remove its bolt using a socket range. Once both items are successfully removed, you will have clear access to replace any worn drive belt.
- Use a spring cooler to remove the tension spring from the drive tension arm.
- After removing it, inspect the hydrostatic pump pulleys. It is essential to ensure both are in perfect condition before you install a new belt. If both pulleys are free of damage, you can go on with the displacement.
- After holding the belt in place, put some tension back to the idler spring using the spring puller.
- Once there is enough tension to keep the belt intact, you can let it go and use both hands.
- Make sure you are installing the springs back to their place from where you removed them. Also, ensure the belt doesn’t move and remains in its place.
- After that, you can install the clutch stop bracket onto the Husqvarna & keep the clutch secured.
- You must align the Deck belt adjustment properly and reinstall the idler spring.
- Don’t mind starting your Husqvarna and checking if there are any problems with the drive belt.
Mower Not Turning On
Sometimes mowers do not turn appropriately because of faulty motors and pumps. If the pump and the motor are not engaged and functioning together, it may halt your Husqvarna from starting.
As the pump is responsible for supplying hydraulic fluid to the motor, if it is damaged, the Blades of your Husqvarna will not turn. It can be easily fixed once you know the real culprit is either the pump or the motor. Replace it immediately. Also make sure to add some transmission fluid into your Husqvarna transmission system.
Another sign of a hydrostatic drive problem in Husqvarna is a unusual noise. In major cases, the real culprit for unusual noise tends to be loose bolts or decks. Therefore, if it is an issue, address it.
Other than this, make sure to check the transmission solenoid for wear & tear. Sometimes, it can become faulty due to the belt and require replacement. Don’t mind replacing the belt and transmission solenoid together.
If a Husqvarna is overheating, the first thing you need to check is the hydrostatic transmission fuel level. If the fluid seems to be low, make sure to add more. Due to a lack of fuel, your Husqvarna will need to work very hard to operate and mulch the grass.
Sometimes, you also end up pouring extra fuel that results in the Husqvarna pump overworking. Therefore, make sure to drain extra fuel. The next step is to check the air filter for any blockage or debris. If it seems dirty, don’t mind cleaning it.
If it has any crack or wear and tear, replace it. In rare cases, a pump actually needs a replacement more than an air filter.
Purging Air from the Hydrostatic Motors
Air gets into your Husqvarna system when you add extra fuel and may halt functions. Therefore, you need to purge the Husqvarna system to solve the issue. Fortunately, the manufacturers provided a list of solutions to their users to solve this kind of issue. Sometimes, air can enter your Husqvarna system due to cavitation.
- Don’t mind raising your Husqvarna rear off the ground, so that its wheels are off the floor too.
- After that, check the front wheel and use the choke to ensure your Husqvarna will not move while you are working, purging the air from the system.
- After choking the front wheels, bypass the valve from the transaxle.
- After doing that, sit on your Husqvarna seat and apply forward drive while holding it for a few seconds. Make sure to start the engine before applying forward drive.
- After holding it for a few seconds, you can let it get to the reverse position for a few seconds. Repeat this process a few times.
- After that, switch off your Husqvarna and check its hydrostatic oil level. You must see it going down a little with purging and then be top off.
- Now if it is, close the bypass valve and remove the choke.
- Finally, your mower is ready to start and take you for a quick drive. Don’t mind operating your Husqvarna for a few minutes on your lawn to check if it is functioning right or not.
There can be main reasons for engine stalling but most of the time transmission belt drive problems seem to be the primary cause. However, first you need to check the fuel level. It is if the few level is low, your engine will keep stalling.
Therefore, you already know an easy solution for that. Unless your fuel filter has deteriorated, malfunctioned, or stopped working due to any reason, you don’t need to change anything other than adding some oil.
However, if the fuel pump or the filter seem to be in a bad condition, afraid to say but you will need to change it entirely.
Gear Shifting Problem
Many Husqvarna users have also complained about gear shifting problems due to transmission slipping off when it is being operated at high speed. The problem could be s simple as loose belt.
Therefore don’t mind tightening the belt to ensure it doesn’t slip off and drive the transmission efficiency. Sometimes this solution cannot be very effective. Therefore, don’t mind adding some transmission governor into the Husqvarna as it is very effective. As it is also an expensive modification, only add a transmission governor if nothing works efficiently.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can You Adjust A Husqvarna Hydrostatic Transmission?
Yes, you can constantly adjust your Husqvarna hydrostatic transmission system if you have some essential skills and knowledge on fixing minor problems with mowers. However, you need first to check the user manual to get a better idea of proper adjustment for Husqvarna hydrostatic transmission. If the mower speed is an issue, adjust the control valve.
Do Hydrostatic Transmissions Wear Out?
Yes, a hydrostatic transmission is worn out due to aging or heavier load. Therefore you should prevent applying heavy burden on your Husqvarna to keep its component free from damage for a prolonged period. Fortunately, the hydrostatic transmission system is more durable than any traditional mechanical transmission system. With proper maintenance, a Husqvarna hydrostatic transmission system can last for thousands of hours of complete operation as well.
Why Won’t My Hydrostatic Transmission Move?
If your Husqvarna’s hydrostatic transmission is not moving, take a quick look at the drive belt. It must be the culprit, and you should replace it. Besides that, low-grade fluid or cold fluid may also put stress on the transmission system. Another reason could be as simple as a bad tensioner Pulley that needs replacement.
Also Read: 7 Ford 3000 Problem (An Expert Guide To Fix)
Don’t overlook any tips in this article about Husqvarna hydrostatic drive problems. If you still have trouble with your Husqvarna or find it difficult to solve on your own, get your unit to a professional mechanic or authorized service center.
But before deciding, you should check out the mentioned fixes to solve the problems. Who knows, this article may cut out an extra cost that you might have to spend to fix the issue. Do check our other articles on mower care, till then take care and goodbye.
I’m David man behind Lawn Mowerly; I’ve been dealing with lawnmowers and Tractors with my father since I was a kid. I know every make and model and what each one is capable of and love helping people find the perfect lawn mower for their needs.